ccording to the Dublin descriptors, students, at the end of the course, will demonstrate:
1) knowledge and understanding skills such as to reinforce those achieved in the first cycle; ability to elaborate and / or apply original ideas, in a research context.
2) ability to apply knowledge and understanding and ability to solve problems to new or unfamiliar issues, inserted in broader (or interdisciplinary) contexts connected to one's field of study;
3) ability to integrate knowledge and to formulate judgments on the basis of information that is not necessarily complete;
4) ability to communicate one's knowledge clearly and unambiguously to specialist and non-specialist interlocutors.
5) ability to carry out research autonomously.
In particular, they will be able to:
A. determine whether a given Italo-Romance word a) derives directly from Latin; b) is an affixed word / compound whose root(s) and affixes belong to Italo-Romance (and not to Latin); c) is a loanword, a calque or an element displaying an affix borrowing, autonomously arguing their own point, based on the theories they know and the information they can get from grammars/dictionaries;B. analyze the syntactic structure of complex sentences, defending each argument, discussing competing analyses and highlighting weaknesses and strength of each one, based on the theories presented during the course.
The course comprises two modules:
Diachronic linguistics: linguistic change (3 ECTS)
§ F. Fanciullo, Introduzione alla linguistica storica, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2007, chapters I-II (23-68), IV-V (143-180).
Grammars and dictionaries to be used for the exercises on linguistic change:
B. Synchronic linguistics: from lexis to syntax (3 ECTS)
Please remember that in compliance with art 171 L22.04.1941, n. 633 and its amendments, it is illegal to copy entire books or journals, only 15% of their content can be copied.
For further information on sanctions and regulations concerning photocopying please refer to the regulations on copyright (Linee Guida sulla Gestione dei Diritti d’Autore) provided by AIDRO - Associazione Italiana per i Diritti di Riproduzione delle opere dell’ingegno (the Italian Association on Copyright).
All the books listed in the programs can be consulted in the Library.